Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Guntur District is located in Andhra Pradesh along the east coast of Bay of Bengal. The district has a coastline of around 100 kilometers. Guntur City is the largest city in the district and administrative center of Guntur District. The district is a major center for learning. Telugu and Urdu are the main languges spoken in this district.Guntur district covers an area of 11,391, and has a population of 4,465,144 of which 28.80% is urban as of 2001,AD. 

The Krishna River forms the northeastern and eastern boundary of the district, separating Guntur District from Krishna District. The district is bounded on the southeast by the Bay of Bengal, on the south by Prakasam District, on the west by Mahbubnagar District, and on the northwest by Nalgonda District. It is divided into 57 mandals. 

Guntur district was formed on the 1st October, 1904 with Head Quarters at Guntur after bifurcating Krishna and Nellore districts. Prior to 1859 there was ‘Guntur District’ with Head Quarters at Guntur but with a different jurisdiction.  In 1859, the district was abolished and was divided up between Masulipatnam and Rajahmundry districts which were renamed as Krishna and Godavari. In  1904,  Guntur  district  was  constituted  into  a  separate independent  district with the areas  of  the  Taluka  of  Tenali,  Bapatla,  Guntur,  Sattenapalli,  Narasaraopet, Vinukonda and Palnadu of old Krishna district and Ongole taluk from Nellore district. 

There are pretty many tourist spots in the district.  Prominent  among  them are Nagarjuna Sagar  project,  Nagarjuna  Konda, the  temples  in  Mangalagiri,Amaravathi,Ponnur,Pedakakani,Govada near Tenali,  Kotappakonda  near Narasaraopet and Satrasala in erstwhile Palnadu taluk. The  Undavalli  caves  near  Mangalagiri  and  the  Kondaveedu  fort  near Phirangipuram, the water falls at Ethipotala near Macherla and Guttikondabilam in the erestwhile Palnadu taluk are also of historic prominence.